Engagement Photo

Engagement Photo

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Fed a RAT today!

Today, I went over to my sisters house to feed her pets and pick up her mail while she is out of town. My nephews have some fish, a tiny, tiny frog, and yes... two rats.

A lot of research went into the decision to buy rats and apparently they are a very good pet for kids. They love people and become pretty attached to their owners. While, I have had the courage to hold them, the second the long, ratty tail touches me, I lose it!

So, my goal today was to slip my hand in the cage with lightning speed so I didn't have another encounter with the TAIL. Plus, my sister warned me that they are very quick and that if I wasn't careful, I'd be chasing them all over the house.

I'm happy to say, I did not have an encounter with either TAIL, but I did almost squish one of them in the door. (T and A-I promise no animals were harmed in the process of feeding them!)

As soon as I was elbow deep in the cage, I noticed one of the rats (whose name started as Hermoine and quickly changed but I can't remember it now), was half way out the cage with a wild, "let me out of here" look in her eyes. My first reaction was to shut the door, which I did quickly! At the same time, I politely pushed her back in the cage. But, she cried at me for doing that. And, I'm not ashamed to say, I did feel bad.

So, after talking the rat off the edge (for real), I got the courage up again to give it another shot. Luckily, by this time, the rats realized I had given them fresh water and left me to my devices.

Needless to say, the fish didn't give me any problems at all. I love fish. And, my sister's family!

3 comments:

Jennie-O said...

that's funny! Good for you for being so brave! p.s. see you soon! :)

Lindsay said...

I couldn't do it. You're amazing!!

Cardwell said...

Thanks Heidi! I love reading what you write, you should definitely write a book.